A lot of our clients ask when their child should start taking instrumental lessons. Although some schools may accept children for piano lessons or violin lessons as young as 5 years old, at the Frederic Chopin Music School we believe this is irresponsible. Instead, we recommend group music lessons for children ages 4 to 6 years old, which we offer at an affordable rate.
Why wait? Here are a few reasons:
1. Bone Ossification: This is the process by which osteoblasts (bone cells) are formed and clustered and then fused to each other to form strong bones. Often, pre-schooler bones are not strong enough for the rigorous demands of instrumental work because the secondary ossification centres are not fully formed in the hand.
2. Knowledge: A child will need to know the alphabet from A to G and backwards, as well as have a working knowledge of reading and writing.
3. Hand dexterity: Playing any instrument requires fine motor skills, which are not well developed in children younger than 7 years old.
4. Hand size: The size of the hand must be able to reach and cover at least 5 piano keys – not to mention the neck of a guitar!
5. Attention Span: Private lessons require 30 minutes of focused attention – a difficult task for most pre-schoolers
The FCMS offers one hour group music lessons for children under the age of 7. Our music teachers are trained in the method developed by Carl Orff, which focuses on engaging young children in music – when they are still too young to participate in instrumental work. The Orff approach uses the elements of speech, rhythm, movement, dance and song to explore children’s creativity. Essentially, children learn music through the integration of movement, dance, and language. We use hand-held instruments (like shakers, tambourines, and bells), singing, as well as many components to musical theatre to establish confidence in performance and the love of music. Our aim is to make music lessons a positive experience to ease children’s transition in to routine practice and music theory. The beauty of this method is that it’s a lot of fun and a great way to boost your child’s self-esteem. We can promise that our yearly preschool recitals are a “must see”!
Preschool music lessons run for one hour weekly.
We believe everyone should have the privilege to learn the art of music, regardless of the resources available to them. We accept ALL AGES and ALL LEVELS of experience. An assessment is conducted during the free initial music lesson.
To learn more about music lessons for children, please contact us!